Doris Mangiaracina Benbrook, PhD
Laboratory Web Page
Elangovan Thavathiru, PhD, Research Associate
Satish Ramraj, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
Vishal Chandra, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
The overall goals of our research are to develop drugs and biomarkers for prevention and treatment of gynecologic cancers by targeting the integration of cell death and survival pathways.
NIH/NCI, 1R01 CA196200-01A1, Ovarian Cancer Chemoprevention, PI: Doris M. Benbrook, PhD, 07/01/2015/-06/30/2020, $413,410 direct cost for year 1
NIH/NIGMS, 1R01GM113940-01, (You-PI), NIR-activatable Prodrugs for Treating Peritoneally Metastasized Ovarian Cancers, 03/01/2015-01/31/2016, $205,000 direct costs for year 1 , Role (Co-I)
NIH/EY, 1 F31 EY 025168-01A1, (Summers-PI), Synthesis in Visually Guided Eye Growth, 07/01/15 - 06/30/19, $30,766 direct costs for year 1 Role (Co-Mentor)
Moonshot Program (Co-PI: Benbrook and Garcia-Contreras), Development of SHetA2 vaginal suppositories for treatment of cervical dysplasia, 05/15/15 – 12/30/15, $30,000 for year 1
Presbyterian Health Foundation/OUHSC Bridge Grant, Sensitization of Ovarian Cancer to DR5 Agonists, PI: Doris M. Benbrook, PhD, 10/01/2014-09/30/2015, $75,000 direct costs
Presbyterian Health Foundation/OUHSC Seed Grant, Inhaled SHetA2 dry powder aerosols as novel treatment for tuberculosis, PI: Doris M. Benbrook, PhD, 10/01/2014-09/30/2015, $45,000 direct
Reynolds Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence Interdisciplinary Seed Grants, Correlates of Quality of Life, Biomarkers, and Physical Activity in Older Women with Ovarian Cancer who Experience Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Pain (CIPN), PI: Elana Cuaderes, Ph.D., R.N., 09/01/2014-08/31/2015, $30,000 direct Costs, Role: Co-I
Reynolds Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence Interdisciplinary Seed Grants, Descriptive Study of Cognitive Disturbances in Older Breast Cancer Survivors, PI: Melisa Craft, PhD APRN-CNS AOCN, 09/01/2014-08/31/2015, $30,000 direct costs, Role: Co-I
1. Benbrook, D.M., Long, A. (2012) Integration of Autophagy, Proteasomal Degradation, Unfolded Protein Response and Apoptosis. Experimental Oncology, 34: 286-297. PMID: 23070014 (Invited).
2. Moxley, K.M., Benbrook, D.M., Queimado, L., Zuna, R.E., Thompson, D., McCumber, M., Premkumar, P., Thavathiru, E., Hines, L., Moore, K.N. (2013) The role of single nucleotide polymorphisms of the ERCC1 and MMS19 genes in predicting platinum-sensitivity, progression-free and overall survival in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology, 130: 77-382. PMID:23632208
3. Naylor, M.F,Thompson, D.M, Lightfoot, S., Benbrook, D.M. (2013) Anti-Cancer Activities and Interaction of Imiquimod and Flex-Het, SHetA2. Journal of Cancer Therapy, 4: 7-19.
4. Benbrook, D.M., Guruswamy, S., Wang, Y., Sun, Z., Mohammed, A., Zhang, Y., Li, Q., Rao,C.V. (2013) Chemoprevention of Colon and Small Intestinal Tumorigenesis in APCmin/+ Mice by SHetA2 (NSC721689) without Toxicity. Cancer Prevention Research, 6: 908-916. PMID:23852423
5. Benbrook, D.M., Nammalwar, B., Long, A., Matsumoto, A., Singh, A., Bunce, R.A., Berlin, K.D. (2014) SHetA2 interference with mortalin binding to p66shc and p53 identified using drug-conjugated magnetic microspheres. Investigational New Drugs. 32:412–423. PMID: 24254390
6. Bishop, E., Thavathiru, E., Benbrook, D. (2014) Insulin exerts direct effects on carcinogenic transformation of human endometrial organotypic cultures. Cancer Investigation, 32: 63–70. PMID: 24499106
7. Slaughter, K.M., Thai, T., Penaroza, S., Benbrook, D.M., Thavathiru, E., Ding, K., Nelson, T., McMeekin, D.M., Moore, K.N. (2014) Measurements of adiposity as clinical biomarkers for first-line bevacizumab-based chemotherapy in epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology, 133: 11-15. PMID:24680585
8. Powell, M., Sill MW, Goodfellow, P.J., Benbrook, D.M., Lankes, H.A., Leslie, K.K., Jeske, Y., Mannel, R.S., Spillman, M.A., Lee, P.S. (2014) A Phase II Trial of Brivanib in Recurrent or Persistent Endometrial Cancer: An NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecologic Oncology 135:38-43. PMID: 25019571
9. Benbrook, D.M. (2014) Book Review: Biotechnology and Biopharmaceuticals: Transforming Proteins and Genes Into Drugs, 2nd Edition. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2014 Oct 9. Epub 2014/10/11. Eng. PMID: 25301211. (Invited and Peer-Reviewed)
10. Benbrook D, Chambon P, Rochette-Egly C, Asson-Batres M. (2014) History of Retinoic Acid Receptors. In: Asson-Batres MA, Rochette-Egly C, eds. The Biochemistry of Retinoic Acid Receptors: Structure, Activation, and Function at the Molecular Level. Vol 70: Springer Netherlands; pp. 1-20 (Invited) PMID: 24962878
11. Gnanasekaran, K.K., Benbrook, D.M. Nammalwar, B., Thavathiru, E., Bunce, R.A., Berlin, K.D. Synthesis and Evaluation of Second Generation Flex-Het Scaffolds Against the Human Ovarian Cancer A2780 Cell Line. (2015) European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 96:209-17. PMID: 25880346
12. Chandra, V., Joo, K.J., Benbrook, D.M., Dwivedi, A., Rai, R. (2015) Therapeutic Options for Management of Endometrial Hyperplasia: An Update. Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, in press.