- On Campus Employment: Students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time in summer (if the department allows). On-campus work authorization is given by the university. Students must maintain the minimum required GPA and must be legal status to continue a campus job.
- Off-Campus Employment due to economic hardship. Students who experience an unexpected economic difficulty may apply for off-campus work permission after being enrolled in good status for one academic year. Students must submit the application to the International advisor for review. If approved, it is then mailed to INS in Mesquite, Texas. If INS approves the EAD (employment authorization document), it will be mailed to the student and is good for up to one year. You may work 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters and fulltime during vacations.
- You may not work off-campus without the proper work permit. A Social Security card alone does not allow you to work off-campus.
- Curricular Practical Training. This type of employment is for those who have an internship as part of their degree program. You must be enrolled in an internship course for credit that meets a graduation requirement. CPT is authorized only one semester at a time by the international advisor. It may be full or part-time. If it is part-time, you must also be enrolled in other courses. The work authorization is done by a DSO at the university. You do not need to apply to the INS office for a permit. This is the only type of off-campus employment that does not require application to INS.
- Optional Practical Training. You may receive up to one year of full-time OPT after completing each degree level to work in your field. You must submit your application to the immigration officer for review. It will be mailed to the Texas INS office. They will issue you an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card. You may apply for OPT 60-90 days before your completion date (graduation).
- While on OPT, you must still notify the Office of Admissions and Records (BSEB, Room 200) of any address change within 10 days. You must also notify us if you stop working and you do not plan to resume employment before your OPT ends.