SEVIS Fee Payment
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an online system that manages data for F-1 and J-1 international students studying in the US. As an international student beginning a new program of study, you must pay a one-time fee of US $200 to the US government before you can obtain an F-1 or J-1 student visa. The SEVIS fee is in addition to any visa fees you may be required to pay at a US consulate. F-2 and J-2 dependents are not required to pay the fee. The SEVIS fee is not a university fee.
- Fee payment information is at http://www.fmjfee.com/.
- Payment can be made:
* Online with a credit card
* By mail with a check drawn on US funds
* Western Union wire service
- Payment and receipt of the SEVIS fee must be made before a visa can be issued by a US consulate.
Payment of the SEVIS fee must be made at least 3 business days prior to your visa interview at the US consulate.
- Citizens of Canada and certain islands who are exempt from visa requirements must pay the fee at least 3 business days prior to entering the US.
- The fee cannot be paid at a US consulate or at a US port of entry. Some consulates in China and India may be able to receive the SEVIS fee together with visa fees. Contact the US consulate for fee payment information.
Method of Payment
- Online payment can be made online here with Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- Complete the online form (I-901) as instructed.
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Enter the SEVIS ID number on your I-20 or DS-2019 (found in the upper right corner above the bar code).
- If you have been admitted to more than one school and have more than one I-20 or DS-2019, only enter information for the school you will attend in the US. Changing schools or documents will cause delays and problems in obtaining a visa and entering the US.
- Print the online SEVIS fee receipt after completing the payment form. Keep a copy for your records.
- After paying the SEVIS fee, you will receive a payment receipt (form I-797). If paying online, print the receipt at the end of your transaction.
- Make and keep extra copies of your SEVIS fee payment receipt. Keep your receipt for the duration of study in the US.
- Present a copy of the receipt with your visa application at the US consulate and at the US port of entry. Carry the receipt with you during any future travel into the US.
- F-2 and J-2 dependent family members must present a copy of the SEVIS fee receipt when applying for F-2 or J-2 visas and when traveling into the US.