Submit your work to Blood and Thunder!
All interested authors and artists are invited to submit original, health care-related, unpublished literary or artistic works.
The deadline for submissions for the 2015 edition of Blood and Thunder is May 31, 2015.
To have your work considered for Blood and Thunder, you must follow these guidelines:
- Authors and artists must submit works via an e-mail with the subject "2014 Blood and Thunder Submission" to email@example.com. Any work submitted through the U.S. Postal Service (traditional mail) will not be considered and will be destroyed.
- All work submitted must be related to health care. Submissions unrelated to health care will be rejected. The decision on a work's relation to health care will rest with the Blood and Thunder editorial staff. All decisions are final.
- Up to five works total, regardless of category, may be submitted by each author/artist. If you send us more than five, we are not obligated to pick five from the lot. They may all be denied consideration.
- Please include the following information in the e-mail with the submission: the name of the author or artist (including credentials if you wish them included after your name), title of the work, phone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and a short biographical paragraph written in 3rd person.
- Blood and Thunder cannot accept works previously published or due to be published by any other publications, including paper publications, internet publications, and prior publication in Blood and Thunder.
- Blood and Thunder acquires first publication rights, as well as rights to republish the work for promotional purposes. After publication, re-printing rights revert to the author, and may be reprinted as long as appropriate acknowledgment to Blood and Thunder is made.
- The only direct compensation to the author or artist is in the form of one free copy of the edition of the journal in which their work appeared. Monetary compensation is not possible.
- We require a signed “Letter of Agreement” prior to publication of any work. The author or artist will receive the document as an attachment with their email notification of acceptance into the forthcoming journal. At this time, we require hand-signed, hard copies of the agreements. Scanned, emailed, or faxed copies of signed Letters of Agreement will not be accepted as a substitute.
Additional Written Works Submission Requirements:
- All submissions should be no more than 3,500 words.
- Written documents should be submitted in (.DOC) or (.RTF) format using Times New Roman size 12 font.
Additional Visual Art Submission Requirements:
- Blood and Thunder accepts original, health care-related paintings, drawings, and photography.
- All works should be sent in a (.JPG) or (.JPEG) format, scanned at a resolution 300 dpi or greater, be no greater than 6"X6", and have a file size no greater than 30 MB. If the artist wishes to submit a higher resolution depiction of their work they may submit one after notification of acceptance.
- Concerning photography of three dimensional artwork, such as sculptures, the artist credited must be the creator of the artwork in the photograph, not just the photographer.
The Best of Blood and Thunder Awards
One entry from each category: Prose, Visual Arts, and Poetry, will be selected as the best entry of its type for that issue. Selection criteria will include how well the work demonstrates common themes or experiences in health care and the overall quality of the work. Winners will be selected from the accepted works in each category for that issue. The winning author or artist from each category will receive a certificate of achievement.