Financial Services

OUHSC Campus

Payroll Services

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I get paid?

University faculty, staff, and student employees are paid on a biweekly basis. For a schedule of the biweekly payrolls, please click here. Professional Practice Plan (PPP) employees are paid on the 12th of the month. If the 12th falls on a weekend or bank holiday, payday will be the previous work day.

Where do I pick up my paycheck?

First, verify with your bank if you received a direct deposit of your check. If your check has not been deposited, current payroll checks are available for pick-up at the Bursar office on the first floor of the Service Center Building. On theTuesday following each payday, checks can be picked up in the Payroll Services office, 840 Research Parkway, Ste 150.

Can I have my check direct deposited?

The State of Oklahoma makes the payment of earnings by direct deposit mandatory for all state employees effective June 2007. This requirement does not extend to students or temporary employees, but all employees are eligible and it is the perferred method of payment. All paper checks for students or temporary employees are required to be picked up in person with a photo ID. You must complete the direct deposit form within 15 days of hire or you will be defaulted to the PayCard.

When and where do I receive my Earnings Statement (check stub)?

Earnings Statements are available to employees on the Employee Self Service website. If you are not receiving your earnings statement, contact your Departmental Payroll Coordinator.

How are taxes calculated?

Taxes are figured using tax tables provided by the federal and state government. The calculations are based on the amount of pay, the pay period, and the allowances you claimed on your W-4. If you receive more money than usual during a particular pay period this could move you to a higher tax table causing more taxes to be withheld for the pay period. Additional wages (such as supplemental pay, retro pay, paid leave payouts, etc) are taxed at specified Supplemental Federal and State Wage Tax Rates.

Why were no federal taxes taken out?

Depending on how much you are paid and the exemptions you claim on your W-4, your gross earnings for a pay period may not be enough to put you in the lowest tax table. When this happens, you may not pay enough or any federal taxes. If this should be the case on many of your paychecks, you may wish to visit with a Tax Accountant to discuss other options for paying additional taxes. That way you won't be surprised with an amount due when you figure your income taxes at the end of the year.

What are FICA taxes and why do some employees not pay this type of tax?

FICA taxes are Medicare and Social Security taxes. IRS permits certain students to be exempt from paying FICA (social security taxes) who work at the college they are attending pursuant to Internal Revenue Code 3121(b)(10). International students who maintain their student visa responsibilities are not subject to FICA taxes pursuant to Internal Revenue Code 3121(b)(19) until they meet substantial presence (in U.S. for more than five years). At this point they become subject to the same FICA rules that apply to U.S. students.

What is a W-2 and when are they mailed out?

A W-2 is a wage and tax statement. The W-2's are prepared after the end of the calendar year and must be mailed to the employee by January 31st.

How do I request a duplicate W-2?

Requests for prior year duplicate W-2's are not accepted before February 15, of the current year. Requests are processed one day a week and will be mailed to the employee unless otherwise specified. To avoid having your W-2 sent to the wrong address, please be sure to update your address through your campus Employee Self Service prior to December 31st. If you terminate employment from the University anytime during the year and move prior to receiving your W2, you can email a picture of your drivers license to and request an address change in the system.

How do I change my state or federal tax information?

All University employees are required to complete a Form W-4 when they are hired. You will also need to review your Form W-4 and make appropriate changes if you have had a major life change, such as marriage or divorce, death of a spouse, or birth/adoption of a child. W-4 changes can be made electronically or by paper form. The electronic option is the required process. To change your W-4 settings electronically, go to the Human Capital PeopleSoft menu and enter your changes:

For a paper copy of the W-4, select the (URL) above. Complete the form, print it out, sign it manually and date it and return it to Payroll Services in Oklahoma City. This should only be used if the employee does not have an OUHSC sign in to complete the electronic W-4.

How are my deductions taken out in the biweekly payroll system?

24 Deductions/year

  • Medical
  • Dental
  • Vision
  • Short Term Disability
  • Long Term Care (Employee and Spouse)
  • Life (Employee, Dependent and Supplemental)
  • AD&D (Employee and Dependent)
  • Parking
  • University Health Club

26 Deductions/year

  • All Retirement Deductions
  • FSA Health
  • FSA Dependent Care
  • Long Term Disability
  • United Way
  • Campus Campaign
  • Garnishment, Levy
  • Child / Spousal Support
  • Student Loan Deductions
  • Credit Union and College Savings Deductions
  • HSA Account Contributions (Employee and Employer)

Typically, months with 3 pay days will not have the deductions listed as 24 deductions per year taken out of your 3rd check. This is called a 'benefits premium holiday'.

How are garnishments deducted?

Garnishments will be taken out as dictated by your particular garnishment. In most cases, garnishments are taken every payment you receive, including paid leave payouts after you leave the university.

When will I receive my PTO payout when I leave the university?

PTO Payouts are automatic through the TAL system. You will receive your payout according to HR Policy automatically on the pay cycle FOLLOWING your last regular paycheck. If there is a delay in processing your termination, you paid leave payout will pay on the pay cycle following the processing date of your termination. If you need to verify the exact date, please contact your departmental payroll coordinator.

What if my leave balance is not correct in TAL?

Employees are to let their supervisor know of the incorrect balance. Their supervisor or payroll coordinator will use the Leave Balance Adjustment Form located on the Payroll Services website.

How is PTO accrued?

PTO will now be accrued biweekly and based onhours paid for hourly employees. This means that if an employee has leave without pay (LWOP) they will accrue LESS PTO, prorated based on how much LWOP you have in a pay period. If an employee is paid for additional regular hours (i.e., hours above 40 in a work week excluding overtime/comp time), then an employee will accrue MORE PTO in a pay period. Please see the OUHSC Leave Accrual Program located at:

How do I track hours if I am a < .75 FTE salaried employee?

Salaried employees who work <.75 FTE use a duration time sheet to track hours for ACA. Instructions for this are found in section 11 of the employee manual here: you do not have regular computer access, you can use a paper time sheet to track hours and have your supervisor or Payroll Coordinator input your duration time. An example paper time sheet is found in the paper forms section here:

What if my timesheet is not calculating correctly?

Click on the Calculate Timesheet icon on the timesheet screen. It should then show the Paid Summary information correctly. If the problem does not resolve by doing this, send a screenshot of your timesheet to

The TAL system will not allow me to complete my timesheet, what is happening?

If the timesheet says "Approved, Not Completed" it means that the supervisor/Payroll Coordinator has already approved the timesheet and the employee cannot complete it. The employee can ask that the Supervisor/Payroll Coordinator remove the approval from the timesheet to allow the employee to complete it. If it is past the deadline and it was accurate as approved, there is nothing that needs to be done. The employee will be paid for what is on the timesheet. If it is past the deadline and corrections need to be made, they can be made after payroll processes and can be paid on the next payroll if the Supervisor/Payroll Coordinator makes a prior pay period adjustment. See the Supervisor manual located on for steps on how to complete this.

If the timesheet has not been approved and the employee still cannot complete the timesheet, it is likely due to errors that prevent a timesheet from being completed. Reference the employee manual ( for a list of errors, and contact the Supervisor/Payroll Coordinator for assistance with the errors.

How do I request to earn comp time instead of overtime?

Complete the comp time request form found here: and return it to your supervisor. Your supervisor will follow the steps in section 5.2 of the supervisor manual (found here: to change your status to comp time accrual. This can be temporary or permanent and a date range should be set accordingly.

Why can't I change my leave request?

If the leave request is for the current pay period, it is processed as soon as it is approved. The supervisor/Payroll Coordinator will have to make the change to an hourly employee's exception time under Manager Tasks > Employee Timesheets. If the employee is salaried, the employee can make the change to the exception time by navigating to Employee Tasks > Timesheet.

If the leave request is for future time off and the supervisor has already responded to the leave request (approved/denied), the employee cannot change their leave request the supervisor must put the request back into a pending status. See employee manual for information.

Why do I only have the option to request "leave taken scheduled?"

The TAL system cascades leave balances automatically. The system will pull leave from the following categories in this order:

Banked Holiday > Compensatory Time> Paid Time Off (PTO) > Extended Sick Leave (ESL), provided that all conditions for ESL are met > Leave Without Pay (LWOP).

LWOP will automatically be applied when all applicable leaves are exhausted.

Why am I not able to request leave for the current pay period?

Make sure your current timesheet is not already completed or approved, which will prevent you from submitting a leave request for the current pay period.  Once the timesheet has been uncompleted and/or unapproved, you will be able to submit your leave request.

Why are there two drop downs to select leave type on the leave request?

Employees with a pre-approved FMLA event, will have the option in the second drop down to request time off for this event. Employees who are not requesting FMLA-related leave only need to select leave taken scheduled on the first drop down menu.

What if my badge does not swipe at the wall clock?

Ensure that you are swiping with the picture side up and your card is not split or broken. New employees may experience up to a three-day delay in being able to swipe their badge. You can try keying in your 6 digit HR # using the keypad. For further questions, contact the OneCard office at ext. 12980 or SCB -115.

Will I be able to clock in outside of my normal schedule?

The TAL system does not track employee’s schedule. You can clock in or out at any time. Seven minute rounding rules do apply. If you clock in at 7:53, it will show you clocked in at 7:53, but pay you for 8:00. If you clock in at 7:52, it will show you clocked in at 7:52, but pay you for 7:45.

Why can't I access the webclock?

Only hourly employees on the campus network can access the web clock. This does includeOKC, Tulsa, Norman, Lawton or several outlying areas. If you are experiencing log in issues and are on the OUHSC campus network, visit orcontact the IT Help Desk at ext. 12203.

Note: Access to the webclock on a mobile device is not permitted.

Why are some buttons greyed out in TAL?

Make sure you are using the newest version of Internet Explorer and make sure compatibility mode is turned on. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, then click Compatibility View Settings in the box labeled "Add this website" type in and click "Add." Once completed, you should see "" in the box labeled "Websites you've added to Compabitbility View." Restart your browser, and the changes should take effect.

How do I record my time if I do not have access to the web clock?

If you cannot access the TAL system, you can use a paper timesheet. The paper timesheet is located on Paper Time Sheet (Hourly only). This will need to be submitted to your supervisor for entry prior to the period being closed/processed.