Last revised May 2013
The staff employees of The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, seeking active representation and involvement in the affairs of The University of Oklahoma and with interest in and concern for the continuing missions, goals, purposes and functions of the University, establish this Constitution for the Health Sciences Center Staff Senate.
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of the organization shall be The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Staff Senate (which may be herein referred to as HSC Staff Senate).
ARTICLE II - AUTHORITY
The HSC Staff Senate shall function under this Constitution as approved by the President of The University of Oklahoma and shall continue to do so until such time as the HSC Staff Senate dissolves itself or the Constitution is revoked by the President or the Board of Regents.
ARTICLE III - PURPOSE
The purposes of the HSC Staff Senate shall be:
- To serve as a representative body of the staff employees of The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and for the exchange of information between the University and its staff employees;
- To function for the welfare of the University and to foster a spirit of unity and cooperation among all staff employees of the University; and
- To function as an advisory body which studies and makes recommendations to the President through the Provost on such policy matters as may directly affect staff employees.
ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP
The HSC Staff Senate shall consist of:
- Senators elected by staff employee groups as designated in the Operating Procedures;
- The Vice-President for Administration and Finance of the Health Sciences Center, or his designee, and the Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer of the HSC, or his designee, serve as Ex-Officio non-voting members;
- Three (3) additional non-voting members, selected from among the Monthly Paid Staff Employees by the Provost. They shall serve staggered four (4) year terms; and
- Officers, as defined in Article V.
- Membership and participation in HSC Staff Senate or Staff Senate committees shall always be subject to supervisory approval.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS
- The elected officers of the HSC Staff Senate shall be the following: Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The Past Chair shall serve in an ex-officio capacity for one (1) year.
- The officers, except Past Chair, shall be elected yearly by the Senators who compose the HSC Staff Senate.
- No officer may hold more than one (1) office at a time. No officer shall serve more than two (2) consecutive full terms in the same office.
ARTICLE VI - STAFF
An Administrative Coordinator shall be employed by the University for the HSC Staff Senate to handle all record-keeping and to serve as the central contact person for HSC Staff Senate members and the staff employees of the HSC. He/she shall attend all meetings of the HSC Staff Senate in a non-voting role as support staff.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
- The HSC Staff Senate shall hold at least ten (10) monthly meetings per year.
- Special meetings may be called by the Chair or shall be called at the written request of one-third (1/3) of the Senators and must be made to the HSC Staff Senate Office.
ARTICLE VIII - QUORUM AND VOTING
- A majority of the total number of Senators of the HSC Staff Senate shall constitute a quorum authorized to transact business at any regular or special meeting of the HSC Staff Senate.
- A majority vote by the Senators present shall carry a motion, except a motion to amend the Constitution of the HSC Staff Senate which shall be in accordance with Article X of the Constitution.
ARTICLE IX - RIGHTS OF THE INDIVIDUAL STAFF EMPLOYEE
This Constitution shall not infringe on the rights and privileges of the individual HSC staff employee nor deny them the pursuit of lawful actions they might deem necessary for their personal welfare.
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
The Constitution may be amended from time to time by the President of The University of Oklahoma.
In addition, amendments to the Constitution may be made by the HSC Staff Senate at regular or special meetings by a two-third (2/3) affirmative vote of the Senators present, provided a quorum is present.
- Proposed amendments (may be submitted by an officer or Senator) shall be submitted to the Policy Review Committee for review who in turn shall submit them to all members of the HSC Staff Senate in writing at least ten (10) calendar days prior to the meeting at which the proposed amendments are to be considered.
- A formal vote may not be taken until the first regular or special meeting at which a quorum is present after the meeting when the amendment(s) was first considered.
Amendments shall be effective upon approval by the President of The University of Oklahoma.