Oklahoma Family Support 360° Center
The Oklahoma Family Support 360° Center (360° Center) assists families whose children have developmental disabilities and are Medicaid-eligible. It primarily serves Spanish-speaking families, assisting them in navigating service systems. Additionally, 360° staff provide training to pediatric residents to increase their knowledge about working with children with developmental disabilities and their families.
Our Service Values and Principles
- We have confidence that families with children with disabilities are extremely resilient and resourceful.
- We educate the community to realize that family support for children with disabilities is the social responsibility of every citizen, not a social program for a select group.
- We share the principles and practices of family support to promote understanding, encourage family self-determination and control, build skills and facilitate collaborative problem solving.
- We focus on the entire family.
- We support the family's desire to express their own needs and decide how their needs will be met.
- We treat people with disabilities and their families with dignity by respecting their individual choices and preferences.
- We respect cultural, economic, social, and spiritual differences.
- We find ways to provide supports and services that are easy for families to access.
Assistance for Families
Since families cannot prepare ahead for the financial, physical and emotional changes that occur when a child with disabilities is born into the family, together…
- We empower families navigating complex service systems.
- We link families with community and state services, support/advocacy groups, and leadership opportunities.
- We assist families with paperwork, application forms, eligibility, and general questions.
- We provide culturally sensitive services and assistance with translations to families who primarily speak Spanish.
- We employ family members of children with disabilities.
- We maintain a library of books and educational materials.
- We help families organize and maintain important documents.
Assistance and Training for Physicians and Health Care Professionals
- We encourage healthcare professionals to practice a Medical Home approach with patients.
- We assist healthcare professionals in communicating effectively with families.
- We provide information and training about the resources and services available to families in our community, family-centered care, family support principles, and respecting cultural, economic, social, and spiritual differences.
- We maintain a library of books and educational materials for health care providers.
- We encourage health care professionals to broaden their patient base by accepting more children with disabilities.
- We work with many agencies to identify systems' barriers and possible solutions.
- We have discovered that by providing basic supports, children with disabilities in our program reduced their number of emergency room visits by 51%.
- We are rewarded to find that when surveyed, 88% of responding families said that they were extremely satisfied with the services and support that their family received from the Oklahoma Family Support 360° Center.
In the words of families…..
"I felt like a failure because I didn't have the answers. The thing that helped is being made aware of the services and being able to talk to another parent with similar problems."
"They make me feel important in my daughter's care and not stupid."
For more information, please contact:
Oklahoma Family Support 360° Center and Family Advocate
(405) 271-4511 Ext., 41016 or e-mail Tara-Ford@ouhsc.edu