The Children’s Hospital to Host Patient Education Conference on Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Published: Monday, September 23, 2019
The pediatric gastroenterologists at The Children’s Hospital at OU Medicine will host a patient education conference for families of children who have been newly diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Saturday, October 5.
Participants will leave the conference with a better understanding of a complex disease, including:
* What is Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
* What do medications do?
* What do labs mean?
* The basics of surgery
* Nutrition and diet therapies
There will also be a panel discussion covering the importance of a support team.
Conference speakers will include the following physicians and other medical staff involved in the care of children with IBD, as well as the parent of a child with the condition:
* Dr. John Grunow, pediatric gastroenterologist
* Dr. Jeanne Tung, pediatric gastroenterologist
* Dr. Noel Jacobs, pediatric psychologist
* Rebecca Suddock, R.D., dietician
* Dr. Alejandro Ruiz-Elizalde, pediatric surgeon
* Martha Stone, parent of IBD patient
The Patient Education Conference will be held from Noon to 5 p.m., Oct. 5, at the Samis Education Center, located in The Children’s Hospital, 1200 Children’s Ave., Oklahoma City. The program is presented by The Children’s Hospital and the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation.
To RSVP for the program, which is offered at no cost to participants, go to tinyurl.com/y6kow68p.