If Involved In An Accident
Any operator of a state or university owned or leased vehicle who is involved in an accident involving the vehicle or property of another, must report the accident immediately (or as soon as possible).
If the Accident Occurs on Campus
- Call the OU HSC Police Department (Telephone 271-4911). An officer will be dispatched to the scene of the accident, and make an appropriate report. The Risk Management Coordinator will also be dispatched to the scene.
- If able to do so, the driver shall complete the form "IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT" which is carried in the glove compartment, or other location in the vehicle.
If the Accident Occurs Off Campus
- Contact the local police agency that has jurisdiction where the accident occurred.
- Remain at the scene of the accident (if uninjured), until all report procedures are completed.
- Ask the officer making the report, for the case number. Write it down.
- The driver must fill out the required "IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT" Form furnished in the vehicle.
- The driver must contact the University Risk Management Coordinator not later than the next working day, by calling Telephone 271-3287.
Personally Owned Vehicle (POV) on University Business
- If the owner of the vehicle is being reimbursed mileage from the State, the owner is responsible for maintaining Liability Insurance.
- If your vehicle is struck by an uninsured motorist, the state will not reimburse the owner for damages.
- The driver should carry a copy of the "Certificate of Self Insurance", and "IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT" Form inside the vehicle.
NOTE: Copies of "CERTIFICATE OF SELF INSURANCE", and "IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT" Forms can be received from the individuals department head. Department heads, who do not posses the required forms, may obtain them from the Risk Management Coordinator's Office Phone 271-3287.
In Case of Vehicular Injury or Death to Another Party Off Campus
- Contact the State Risk Management Division immediately. The telephone number is listed on the "IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT" Form.
- Contact the University Risk Management Coordinator's Office at Telephone 271-3287.
Last Updated: 111705